Walking down the Myasnitskaya Street in Moscow, you won’t miss a Chinese architecture inspired building standing out among all the other historical buildings in the area. With its colorful façade, ceramic details, various ornaments, faience tiles, Chinese dragons, forged gates, and tile roofs completed by a pagoda tower with bells making reference to oriental style, it’s the famous Tea House on Maysnitskaya, also known as the Perlov Tea Shop, built back in 1893. Originally the house had a tea shop on the first floor and living quarters on the upper floors and was owned by the wealthy family of Sergei Perlov, the head of the Russian ‘tea empire’.
Perlov was a fan of Asia and opened his outstanding shop to impress the Chinese ambassador Li Hongzhan, who was invited for Nickolay II coronation. To get more tea contracts the merchant ordered special decorations – porcelain vases, sculptures, fans, and an authentic Chinese carpet. Although the ambassador never visited the place, it quickly became popular, especially among wealthy people and demanding tea connoisseurs, and was very profitable.
Remarkably enough, since its launch the place has always remained a tea shop, which makes it one of the oldest commercial premises in the capital. Even after the 1917 Revolution, when the building was nationalized, the authorities kept the tea trade on the first floor and turned the upper rooms into communal apartments.
Nowadays, the Tea House still served the public as a tea shop, offering over eight hundred kinds of tea and over three hundred kinds of coffee from all over the world, a patisserie and a venue for themed parties, festivals, gatherings, and performances.
9 AM – 9 PM (Mon-Fri); 10 AM – 8 PM (Sat); 10 AM – 7 PM (Sun)